IT"S ALL GOOD!

Even among the hardest trials, if at the end of the day we are still a family, It's all good!







Saturday, January 15, 2011

30 Days Homeless Part 2

I found myself carried away with discussing the homeless situation of families on my first posting on this. The 30 days homeless blog, journals the Ministers walk with homeless young adults. These were kids in the foster system and when they turned of age, were turned out! There are TOO MANY young adults out there homeless because our systems has failed to come up with a plan to assist them when they are too old for Foster care. 60% is the estimated figure for young homeless adults, as a result of leaving  foster care when they became of age and had no where to go. 60% wrap your mind around that! In the first part posting I talked about situations beyond our control. These kids never had anything with in their control! For all of you with teenagers, picture this...they have just celebrated their 18th Birthday and you go to the front door, hand them just the most meager of possessions and you tell them it is time for them to go and when they step out, you shut the door! That is it! That is what our system does! So I think now all of you have a pretty good idea your visions of the homeless were not quite accurate! There are families and kids like yours struggling to SURVIVE out there on the streets.       60%! That is a number that I think will stick with me forever! I am curious what you all think about that number? Please, email me let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment